The Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group brings together people who are interested in semantics and vocabularies relevant to the polar regions. Originally established as a joint effort between the Arctic Data Committee and the Arctic Data Sub Team of the Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee, the group is open to all individuals and organizations with an interest in this topic.
Group activities include:
- Promote awareness of existing vocabularies and semantics initiatives to increase effectiveness and reduce or eliminate redundancy
- Coordinate vocabularies and semantics development activities across the polar information community
- Enable and organize regular communication within the community
- Help members of the community connect to useful and interoperable vocabularies
- Inform the polar community about broader activities (e.g. ESIP, RDA), and act as ambassadors from the polar community to other initiatives
As of late November 2017, the group has had 3 virtual meetings. During these meetings issues like, the terms of reference, collaboration tools and the initial framework for collection of information on relevant vocabularies have been discussed. As a general rule, the group meets for virtual meetings every 3rd Tuesday of the month.
The next meeting will be held January 16th 2018. send an email to polarsemantics (at) gmail.com if you want to be involved.
A set of collaboration tools and communication channels have been established for the group.
- A dedicated Trello team has been set up for management of the group activities.
- The Slack space for group is used for realtime, day to day communications.
- This is not a payed account meaning the history will disappear after a while.
- A Google Group has been established for internal asynchronous communication and archive of information etc.
- A Google Drive has been established for document management etc.
- This is where the initial overview of relevant vocabularies are listed first.
- A GitHub repository will be established for specific vocabularies or ontologies established under the project.
Partners and Related Groups and Activities
- Alaska Data Integration work group
- Arctic Research Mapping Application
- Arctic Observing Viewer
- DataONE (NSF Arctic Data Center)
- ESIP Semantic Committee
- Geolink (NSF EarthCube)
- Norwegian Scientific Data Network (NorDataNet)
- NSF Arctic Data Center
- The OBO Foundry
- Research Data Alliance
- Semantic Sea Ice Interoperability Initiative
- US LTER Network Community Office
WMO activities (through METNO)